Thank you for your interest in the Foster Care program. Fostering makes a real difference dogs who are looking for new homes.
Please make sure to read our FAQ’s before filling out our application form to learn more about what is needed to become a foster carer with Puppy Tales Rescue.
Q1 – I’m interested in becoming a foster care. Are there any requirements?
In order to become a foster carer for Puppy Tales Rescue, we ask that you:
- Live within a 30klm radius of Merrimu, Victoria
- are aged 18 years or older
- can provide a safe and secure environment for your foster dog
- have lots of love to give
- have reliable transport (to take your dog to the vet if required)
- attend foster care training sessions
- follow all policies and guidelines outlined in the foster carer handbook
Q2 – Why are foster carers needed?
There are many different reasons why animals require foster care. This includes animals who:
- are dealing with treatable medical conditions
- are not old enough to be desexed or rehomed
- are recovering from surgery
- are too young to be rehomed
- have young litters
- need rehabilitation, rest or socialisation
- simply need a home to temporarily call their own
Q3 – Can I foster if I have my own pets, rent, live in an apartment, have children, work fulltime?
Absolutely! These circumstances should not prevent you from becoming a foster carer. Our dogs are assessed when they first come into our care for what homes they would best suit. However, please note that as we always do our best to match animals with the best possible foster carer, not all animals can be fostered in all homes.
If you do have existing pets, you’ll need to ensure your animals are fully vaccinated have been treated for fleas and worms, and are desexed. You will also need to have an area to keep your fostered animals separate from your own if needed.
Q4 – What is the process for becoming a foster carer
There are four simple steps to becoming a foster carer for Puppy Tales Rescue:
- Register your interest in the Foster Care program by filling out our online application form here (please use the direct link to the new surrender document)
- Attend an information session or phone interview.
- Have your property inspected for suitability.
- Become a foster carer and make a lifesaving difference to animals in need.